Tuesday 26 July 2011

Connectivism - EDUC 8845 Module 4


According to Kop and Hill (2008), the starting point for learning occurs when knowledge is actuated through the process of a learner connecting to and feeding information into a learning community. My network has changed the way I learn tremendously. It has taken me from the level of acquiring information to the level of effective application of the information to diverse situations. To buttress my new way of learning, I tried to use Spinscape for my mind mapping, along the line, I could not embed the whole map into my document. Rather than losing hope, I quickly used Smart Graphics in Microsoft word to achieve the same concept. It is all about connectivism, ability of learners through intellect to be acquainted to complex topics and begin to draw connections between various concepts.
The advent of newer technologies for information and communication has transformed the world into a global village. My first experience with online learning started eight years ago, when I took the first professional development course on technology integration into classroom instruction. Predominantly, we were using email and chat. Today, the likes of Googledocs, Elluminate, and Skype have turned around learning. Connecting to the world through the Internet has brought education to my doorstep and opportunity to study abroad while seated in my room. I am actively involved in various learning communities, and the impact of knowledge acquired within the last few years is immeasurable.
Emergence of newer technologies would not make me state categorically that certain digital tools are the best. However, the use of Skype for calls, web and video chat, and discussion boards has helped to facilitate communication with my learning communities. I use Googledocs to collaborate and develop documents. I do a lot of email, and use text messages especially for those that do not have access to Internet facilities. At my workplace, a productivity program that is very useful is Microsoft One note, which enables one to bundle spreadsheet, word document, and presentations into just a package.
The enormous online resources are the backbone of my quest for knowledge. I regularly use search engines such as Google, Bing, and Yahoo to find information. I am always cautious of the fact that not all information is correct. Information must be from the right source especially when it relates to academics. If there is contradictory information, I seek the opinion of my learning community on the subject matter, as well as share my findings. It is about staying connected wherever you go.
Reference
Kop, R., & Hill, A. (2008). Connectivism: Learning theory of the future or vestige of the past? International Review of Research in Open and Distance Learning, 9(3), 1–13. Retrieved from the Walden Library using the Education Research Complete database. 

2 comments:

  1. Aderonke

    It is amazing how far education and technology have merged. I think the problem may be that it is an information overload for some educators as well as students. I had to make a chart to decide which online college I would attend. I had to measure the pro and cons in a chart to see which school offered the most bang for the buck. As we continue on our quest for knowledge we are forced to use common sense and sound judgment when looking at the sources of the information. The online experience has been an adventure but I know it is not meant for everyone. Some students need to connect but they connect better face to face.

    I enjoyed your mind map. It helps to remind me that connections are made in several areas of my life and there are still some options that I need to explore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aderonke,
    I enjoyed viewing your mindmap and learning about your professional learning communities for which you are an active member. I think that this activity has helped us to reflect on how we have recently gained so much more knowledge at faster rates with the assistance of our connections made at work, home and in our communities. I agree with you that because there is a wealth of information available from so many sources, it is imperative for us as learners to sift and filter out that which has not been deemed reliable and validated. I do think that because of the wide range of technological tools made available today on the Internet, that this task is actually easier. Thanks for sharing your post.

    ReplyDelete