Wednesday 24 August 2011

Learning in a Digital World - EDUC 8845 Module 6

The evolution of technology tools has created an avenue for learners to keep abreast of the emerging technologies. The impact of technology on the way I learn is immeasurable. It has made me have access to different learning styles, which gives me better understanding. The combination of audio, visual and text media has broadened the retention level of the most newly acquired knowledge. Though the use of technology has advantages and disadvantages, but it gives several options in which learners can depend upon, to enhance their learning processes. For instance, I have access to low bandwidth Internet connection; this has made downloading of the video file very difficult. However, the video file transcripts, which to a large extent would meet the needs of learners like me, are available in most online environment. The ease of access to online learning is as a result of technology, which has brought learning to the door step or bedroom of many people across the continents. My base is in Africa, and I am running a doctorate in United States of America, and currently on an on Holy pilgrimage in Israel. This example is to buttress the impact of technology in my learning. Wherever I am, and I stay connected, is equivalent to having the university in my pocket.
Learning in a face-to-face environment is very good as it involves bodily contacts. I had a first and second degree in Computer Science through face-to-face learning, comparing this with my doctorate in an online environment is quite distinct. The online environment involves a lot of collaboration, and creating learning communities. It gives me the opportunity to share experience with other learners; support the learning of each other while promoting creativity and critical thinking skills, open and broad mindedness as a result of constant interaction with diverse people; acquisition and reflection of new knowledge; and a transformative learning. In teaching and learning processes, the ability of learners to create, and construct new knowledge is critical, while the role of the facilitator is non-negotiable. Learning in a digital world would be effective, if a facilitator anchors the learning process through effective communication, feedback, classroom or faculty management, and learning community. Many learning theories, such as behaviorism, cognitivism, and constructivism are of the opinion that learners acquire new knowledge based on prior experience. This is further enhanced by connectivism, which creates a network for learners using technology.

1 comment:

  1. Aderonke,
    Excellent post - you bring a new definition to what it means to be a global learner. I agree with your assertion that educators should serve as facilitators and advance the ideas of connectivism in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete